Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How far we've come...

This is the first blog I have ever created, and I never knew blogging would be such an interesting thing to do, even though this is a 'serious' blog.

Thanks to services like Blogger.com, a new way of publication has hit the internet.

Looking for issues to blog and researching theories really opened up my eyes to a whole new world of publishing. But creating a blog is no simple task; I had to look for ways to make it as interesting as possible to the readers.

Applying theories to what I have written was an interesting thing to do too.

The way people read printed text is very different from the way they read on the web. The web is an active medium, users are engaged and want to go to places and get things done (Nielsen, 2008). Therefore I used links in my postings to get readers to pages with further information.

In writing, I had to keep my content short and simple.

I used multimodal texts - text whose meanings are realized through more than one semiotic code (Kress and van Leeuwen, 2006) – in postings to make it interesting and to engage the reader (Walsh, 2006), for example videos and pictures.

While I was writing on issues such as piracy, I had to make sure there are no offensive sentences to any parties, and that I got my facts through a credible source.

Overall, blogging has been nothing like I have ‘written’ before, and I believe it is an interesting form of publishing, but keep in mind that this is open for almost everyone to view, so watch your ‘digital mouth’.

----------

Reference

Kress, G & van Leeuwen, T 2006, 'Chapter 6: The meaning of composition', Reading Images: Grammar of Visual Design, Routledge, London.

Nielsen, J 2008, Writing Style for Print vs. Web, Useit.com, viewed 12 November 2008, <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/print-vs-online-content.html>.

Walsh, M 2006, ‘Textual shift: Examining the reading process with print, visual and multimodal texts', Australian journal of language and literacy, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 24-37.

No comments: